Applications & Permits

Work That Requires a Permit

Permits are required for the following activities, events, construction projects, and/or items:

  • Bridges and Culverts
  • Construction - Including: all new construction, additions, alterations, decks, replacement windows, and demolitions in residential, commercial, and industrial facilities
  • Fences
  • Greenhouses
  • Heating and Air-Conditioning - Including: new, expansion, and replacement
  • Plumbing and Sanitary Sewer Laterals
  • Road Occupancy - Including: road opening, replacement, addition to or new construction of curbs, sidewalks, or driveway openings (this includes work done by utilities)
  • Sanitary Sewer Connections
  • Signs - Permanent
  • Sprinkler System Installation - Including: new, expansion, alterations, and replacements
  • Storage Sheds
  • Storm Drainage - Including: paving, curbing, sidewalks, and driveways within right of ways
  • Swimming Pools/Spas
  • Tanks
    • Also needs Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) notification
    • All underground storage tank work must be done by DER approved installers with inspections conducted by DEP-approved third-party inspectors
  • Temporary Construction Trailers 

Permits & Applications Available Online